Re: A backend("fltk") problem

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: A backend("fltk") problem
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:22:09 -0400

Off list, I sent Michael a patch to try to avoid the crash he was
seeing.

Back on the mailing list:

On  1-Sep-2009, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

| I said:
|
| > For now, I will just try commenting the ::error
|
| I said I would try this with almost zero expectation that it
| would work, but it does !!
|
| So far, I only wrote a title at the top of a plot, but it
| looks right and in a sans serif font that looks about right.

What versions of freetype and fontconfig do you have installed?  I
seem to have freetype 2.3.9 and fontconfig 2.6.0.

When I try something like

  set (0, 'defaultaxesfontname', 'foobarfont')
  set (0, 'defaulttextfontname', 'foobarfont')
  text (0.5, 0.5, 'foobar')

I don't see a crash.  It still works for me and uses some default
font (even without the change I sent to you).  Stepping through
ft_manager::do_get_font, I see that the font name is "foobarfont", but
even so, FcFontMatch returns a valid font object.  That's apparently
not happening for you, so maybe there is a difference in the versions
of freetype and/or fontconfig that we have installed, and my version
is returning some default font when there is no match on the font
pattern?  I see there is a call to

This all works for me even if I remove what I think are the
corresponding font packages that you mentioned.  On my system:

  xfonts-base xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi

So now I'm a bit confused about exactly what dependency we should be
adding.