Re: development snapshot

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: development snapshot
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:21:34 +0200

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:05 PM, John W. Eaton<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29-Jul-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | what about making a development snapshot soon, perhaps now?
> | Further, src/version.h still shows version 3.1.55 and api-v37. Is it
> | OK if I change it to 3.3.1 and api-v38?
>
> Sorry for not responding to this message earlier.  Is now a good time
> to make a new snapshot?

I think so.

> If there are no objections, I will try to
> start making more regular snapshots again.  Should we start with
> 3.3.1?

I never understood why there was 3.1.50 instead of 3.1.0, but if
there's a good explanation I've missed...

> 3.3.50?  Should we start planning for a new release?  If so,
> what features are most important?

As far as I'm concerned, I've implemented most of my ideas, except
finishing fminbnd and some mapper improvements (erfinv, erfcx).
Everything's in NEWS (I see all entries are mine; isn't something
missing here?). A little more cleanup in liboctave is also possible.

I don't know what else is wanted.

New-style class support may be nice, but given the current status, is
it realistic to expect?
(Personally I'm happy, so far at least, with the old-style classes for
my purposes (only encapsulation), so I've got little motivation to
work on that; besides, I think it would be better done by someone who
has access to Matlab).

Concerning the FLTK backend or other plotting projects, I'm completely ignorant.

In any case, I'd appreciate a snapshot soon, perhaps now, despite
features still missing.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek