Re: fltk

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fltk
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:28:52 -0400

On  6-Sep-2009, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| Without the backend("fltk") I tried commands like:
|
|   plot([1:100])
| title("hello again")
| get(gca,"fontname")
| h = get (gca (),"title")
| get (0, "defaulttextfontname")
| set(h, "string", "more news")
| set(h, "fontname", "Helvetica")
| get (0, "defaulttextfontname")
|
| They all worked as expected.  So, at least part of the
| problem is due to differences in font property handling
| between fltk and gnuplot.  It would seem to me that the
| property handling should be the same (even same code)
| for both.  Is this true?
|
| Also, commands like set(h, "fontsize", 10) work correctly
| in both gnuplot and fltk.  It seems to be only the fontname
| property that goes wrong in fltk.

The difference is that for gnuplot, we just pass the name of the font
to gnuplot in commands, like

  set title "foobar" font "Times,14" enhanced;

and then gnuplot finds and displays the font.

But as I understand things, the fltk/opengl backend requires us to
find the font ourselves (we are using fontconfig for this) and then
tell fltk which font to use.

I don't know how gnuplot does this job.  Is it using fontconfig?

In any case, it may be that we are simply using fontconfig
incorrectly.  If someone out there is an expert, I would be grateful
for some help in fixing these problems.