Re: terminology: handles, figures, objects, etc.

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: terminology: handles, figures, objects, etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 06:45:02 -0700

To say what Shai said, just a little differently:

The three terms are really quite distinct.

An object is a thing.  A property is some feature that the object has.  A handle is a programmatic way to refer to the object.

As an example, a plot is an object.  It is composed of other objects including lines and axes.  Each of the objects and subobjects have properties, e.g. a line object may have a color, a linetype, etc.

A handle is simply some computer representation of the object (a pointer, an index into a table, or something) to allow the programmer to refer to an object; for example to make property changes or otherwise manipulate the object.

Bob

Michael D Godfrey wrote:
I have seen (I think) graphics properties defined as
graphics objects and graphics handles.  So, there
seem to be 3 names in use: properties, objects, and
handles.  I believe that properties or objects are the "things"
and handles are the pointers.  In addition, the term index
appears to mean the class of handles and figures.

But, maybe their are other views.

In any case, what is the official terminology?
The choice seems to be between properties and
objects.

I plan to use the term Structures in titles which refer to sections
dealing with handles, figures and their objects? OK?