Re: fltk backend fix & mouse wheel scroll factor

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: fltk backend fix & mouse wheel scroll factor
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:12:00 +0100

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:
> What would you say to using opengl bitmaps? As far as a\I managed to
> read up on them this morning thy don't have a size limit, and they can
> be scaled. They are limited -- they do not participate in all they
> perspective and 3D stuff, but I think images are meant to be this way
> -- if you want something more sophisticated you can use a textured
> surface, or convert the image to a surface.

I see 2 problems with using bitmaps:
- they are not 3D
- you have a 1-to-1 pixel mapping between the bitmap and the screen,
  which is not what Matlab is doing; for instance a colorbar is just a
  c x 1 image object rendered in a m x n box (m>c, n>>1); you can do
  that seamlessly with textures

Moreover, texture rendering is much faster than using bitmaps.