Re: opengl and images

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: opengl and images
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 07:30:01 +0100

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:39 AM, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:
> To workaround this in the opengl-renderer would mean to use textures
> for images. This is complicated since textures have maximal size and
> are limited to powers of two in their dimensions.

The latter can be worked around by using the rectangular texture
extension, which hopefully is available in many graphics cards today.
If it's not, then too bad, we can't do miracles. To solve the former problem,
you need to decompose the original image into sub-elements that fit
the maximum texture size, then select the right texture and compute
the right coordinates. This is indeed not trivial.

> Another workaround is to use surface objects for images.

Surface objects use textures mapping. The problem is the same.

> Yet another workaround is to use mesa software rendering. In debian,
> this worked for me:
> apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686
> However, this will disable opengl hardware acceleration, which might
> be a high price to pay.

Indeed....

Michael.