FYI: ArrayN gone

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: FYI: ArrayN gone
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:36:56 -0400

On 16-Oct-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| as a step towards simplifying the liboctave array class hierarchy, I
| removed the ArrayN template class:
| http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/b4fdfee405b5
|
| Rationale:
| I don't know the historical purpose of ArrayN, but it surely evolved
| into being a mere thin wrapper over Array, adding no useful

I think the original classes had Array as a single-dimensional array
only, Array2 as a 2-dimensional array, and ArrayN providing
N-dimensional arrays.  But then at some point, Array was extended to
handle all dimensions.  So I think it is good to get rid of ArrayN.
Thanks for doing this job.

| MArrayN is the next target (to be merged with MArray).

OK.

| I'm not yet sure what to do with the Array2 classes.

I suppose the funtionality of Array2 might be absorbed by Array.  For
things that only make sense for 2-d arrays (transpose, hermitian,
etc.) we would simply need checks to ensure that the object actually
has exactly 2 dimensions and otherwise throw an error.  Would that work?