Re: libtool and mkoctfile

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: libtool and mkoctfile
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:00:50 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  4-Nov-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

| With all due respect, but at this point I'd like to re-raise the | question, why are you trying to switch to libtool in the first
| place?

In part because it makes it simpler to use gnulib, and I think that
replacing parts of Octave with gnulib equivalents will be helpful and
make Octave more portable and more reliable.

Fair enough.
I see that you also reponded in this sense to the wifexited() issue on windows. OK, I get the point.

I have offered to help with the transition, but to do that, I will
need some precise instructions about how to construct the same build
environment that you have on a Windows system.  So far, no one has
posted any instructions that would help me do that, or pointed me to
an existing document that clearly describes how to build Octave on a
Windows system.

True, I am sorry I did not respond to this immediately.
You are right there is no howto for octave on windows. There should be one. There should also be a readme.mingw for all reasons.
I had it on my todo list, and not yet time to write them.

In a recent message, you said that you were able to build some parts
of Octave with libtool, but that some things were still not working.
What is not working?

We had a therad on the list, I'll pick it up there where I left ok?

Again, I am willing to help with the transition, but I need to have
some precise directions for setting up a build environment that is the
same as yours so I can try to build Octave and see what the problems
are.

Again, thanks for the offer. Yes, I'd like a second pair of eyes and
possibly a different approach to the build process. Maybe I'm getting
too blind already.
Let's see, since I'd actually like to start writing a howto for octave on windows anyway. Would you be willing to play test subject?

benjamin