Re: gnulib and automake

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:00:45 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 10-Nov-2009, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

    | No, this is a pure msys issue. I use MiKTeX for building
    documentation.
    | MiKTeX, as native win application, uses windows style paths.
    | However, ocatve's configure procedure is run within msys, and
    uses thus
    | msys style paths, which - consequently - miktex does not understand.

    Can you send details?  I'd like to fix this so that it just works
    without requiring you to patch Octave's Makefiles.

    | > If not, then I'd like to go ahead and check it in
    | > today.
    |
    | go ahead.

    I've checked it in.

    jwe

First thoughts (from a first-time libtool&automake user):
It would be nice to specify the versions needed. I tried with my system autoconf 2.61, automake 1.10 and libtool 1.5.26 and build failed complaining that automake 1.11 is required. I compiled autoconf 2.64 & automake 1.11 and tried again, but this time I got weird messages about AC_PROG_LIBTOOL missing in configure.ac <http://configure.ac>. Adding it there didn't help though. I finally installed built also libtool 2.2.6a and everything went OK.

I think it would be nice to discover the minimum required levels.

So my working config is
autoconf 2.64 + automake 1.11 + libtool 2.2.6a
but that does not help anything since these are all newest versions. What's yours?

Otherwise, the build went smoothly, even with multiprocessing (make -j2). It doesn't seem to be significantly slower. make install was visibly slower, but that doesn't matter to me much.

All in all, no big deal for self-builders.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer

Had the same problems myself, ended up building and installing the latest releases much as you did.

I think this line

LT_PREREQ([2.2.2])

does state a lower version than 2.2.6, but maybe it can be even lower? Notice that LT_INIT and friends aren't in libtool 1.5, and AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is deprecated in later versions. Maybe some m4 magic could check whether LT_INIT is defined and put out a message to update to a newer libtool.

David