Re: gnulib and automake

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: gnulib and automake
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:26:38 +0000

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 3:53 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 13-Nov-2009, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
> | But more problematic is the
> | use of i686-pc-msdosmsvc as build target with libtool. This is
> | not recognized by libtool and it simply refuses to build shared
> | libraries (whether you use --enable-shared or not). I see 2 ways
> | to work around that:
>
> I'm not sure what's best here.  I'd really like to see it just work
> automatically if possible, and would be willing to do some
> work/lobbying to try to get whatever changes are needed into libtool
> and config.{sub,guess} to make that happen.  I'm not sure we'd be
> successful, but I'm willing to try.

Indeed, that would be nice it'd just work out of the box, however this
might be a complex task, given the complexity of libtool. Also, it
would have to work with standard MSVC compiler, not the gcc-like
wrapper I'm using. I think what I'll do first is trying to get octave
compilable with MSVC, which is not the case anymore (i'll start
another thread about that), with my own toolchain. Then I'll see if
I can get it working using standard tools.

Up to now, I could get libcruft compiled.

Michael.