Re: building 3.2.3 but not finding arpack

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: building 3.2.3 but not finding arpack
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:34:08 -0500

On 19-Nov-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| >Yours says checking for F77_FUNC(dseupd,DSEUPD), which seems odd since
| >the F77_FUNC macro is not used in the ARPACK test or the
| >OCTAVE_CHECK_LIBRARY macro from acinclude.m4
| >
| >I'm not sure why the lines in the configure script (19002 vs 28523).
| >What version of autoconf are you using?  I have 2.64.
| >
| >Have you run autogen.sh recently?
| >
| >jwe
|
| I ran autogen.sh must prior to trying this build.
|
| My autoconf is 2.63.

Are you sure your configure script is up to date?  Does it have the
lines

  save_LIBS="$LIBS"
  LIBS="$LAPACK_LIBS $BLAS_LIBS $FLIBS $LIBS"
  OCTAVE_CHECK_LIBRARY(arpack, ARPACK,
    [arpack not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.],
    [],
    [dseupd],
    [Fortran 77], [don't use the ARPACK library, disable eigs function])
  LIBS="$save_LIBS"

or something else?  If so, where is the "F77_FUNC(dseupd,DSEUPD)"
coming from in the config.log message?  The reason I suspect an old
version of configure.ac is that it used to be

  save_LIBS="$LIBS"
  LIBS="$LAPACK_LIBS $BLAS_LIBS $FLIBS $LIBS"
  OCTAVE_CHECK_LIBRARY(arpack, ARPACK,
    [arpack not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.],
    [],
    [F77_FUNC(dseupd,DSEUPD)],
    [], [don't use the ARPACK library, disable eigs function])
  LIBS="$save_LIBS"

which would account for both the missing LAPACK and BLAS libs and the
"F77_FUNC(dseupd,DSEUPD)" name appearing in the checking message.

If your configure.ac script really is up to date, then what are the
values of LAPACK_LIBS and BLAS_LIBS at this point in the configure
script?  If they are defined, I didn't see them in the config.log
output you posted.