Re: libiberty problem : mingw build on latest development source

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: libiberty problem : mingw build on latest development source
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:01:46 +0100

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello

I have been trying to build current development trees.

*********************
description     GNU Octave (development branch)
owner   John W. Eaton
last change     Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:44:51 -0500
project home    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/octave
*****

In linking libcruft, I have get the following.

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
c:/programs/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.4.0/libgfortranbe
gin.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -liberty.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libiberty and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /mingw/lib/libiberty.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

/mingw/lib/libiberty.a seemed to be a problem.

I have googled and find one of the MinGW ML threads.

:) the next one to fall into the trap libtool lays.
I don't know why this fails the way it fails.

There is a quite lengthy thread on the maintainer's list
titled "gnulib and automake". Take a look.

For me, it boiled down to
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2009-July/017683.html

(Besides, libiberty is part of gcc)

Maybe (that's speculation on my part) it would also solve the
problem if one created a libiberty.la file for libiberty.a
(is this a gcc packaging bug?).

But again, for libstdc++.a there is a .la file, and it *breaks*
building in this case.

I didn't dig much deeper here.

benjamin