Re: Print to PDF under Windows [changeset-3]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Print to PDF under Windows [changeset-3]
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:07:58 -0500

On Nov 21, 2009, at 10:05 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Benjamin Lindner wrote:
>
>>> Michael or other Window users,
>>> Can you confirm the attached works?
>>> Ben
>>
>> The console version of ghostscript on win32 is called "gswin32c.exe".
>> There is also a GUI version, which is called "gswin32.exe".
>> I don't see the reason for using the gui version. What if you want to
>> pipe commands to ghostscript?
>>
>> If one insists on using the GUI version, well then you can specify
>> it in GSC anyway, but in my opinion the correct version to use
>> by default is the console version. Hence "gswin32c.exe"
>>
>> benjamin
>
> Ok, my understanding is that EXEC_PATH is equivalent to the PATH environment
> variable that was in place when Octave was run. Which is likely to include
> the default shell's PATH as well as additions needed to run Octave. In the
> event  ghostscript is bundled with Octave, then EXEC_PATH is preferred over
> PATH.
>
> The attached changeset looks for the console version of ghostscript,
> "gswin32c.exe", and still searches EXEC_PATH for gswin32c.exe.
>
> Ben
>
> <changeset.patch>

If I understand correctly ...

isunix() == true for cygwin and unix systems.
ispc() == true for Win32 and mingw

For Win32, mingw, and cygwin, I assume that "gswin32c.exe", and "gs.exe" may
each represent the ghostscript binary?

For cygwin and unix, the binary may be "gs".

Thus, I don't see the utility of using isunix() or ispc() ... hence another
proposed changeset.

Ben