new major release? (was: Re: 3.2.4 call for patches)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: new major release? (was: Re: 3.2.4 call for patches)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:57:07 -0500

On 25-Nov-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| 3 out of 5 are N/A. Time for a major release?

It would be OK with me to start the process for a release.  Are there
any new features that should be added or any partially implemented
features that should be completed before doing that?  I can't think of
anything that we absolutely must wait for.  I would like to start
switching to using some gnulib fucntions now.  Other than that, my
plans for additional changes can wait until after 3.4.0.  The next
big things on my list are improved 64-bit support and profiling.  I
think we are in pretty good shape with the opengl plotting functions,
except that it would be good to have better support for images in the
next release.

I suppose we should go ahead with 3.2.4, then start thinking about
3.4.0.

Does anyone object to me checking in my proposed changes to start
using gnulib functions?  If not, then I'll do that this week.