Re: graphics stacking order

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: graphics stacking order
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:07:28 -0500

On Nov 27, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
On Nov 27, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Shai Ayal <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Nov 27, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Shai Ayal wrote:

Hi,

while trying to get colorbar to work, I realized I'm not sure what the
graphics stacking order (that is what object should be in front)
should be.

consider the following code:

clf ();
ax1 = gca ();
sombrero (); # just so that we have something drawn
ax2 = axes ("position", [0.3, 0.3, 0.2, 0.2]);
ch=get (gcf (), "children")

with current tip I see ax1 drawn on top of ax2, (both in gnuplot and
fltk) and ch = [ax2;ax1]
I couldn't find a reference for what matlab would do. I'm pretty sure that at least ax2 should be drawn on top of a1, but I'm not sure about
the order of ch. Can anyone try on matlab and report?

Shai

Octave orders the objects in the same way as Matlab.

Here's a simple illustration using Matlab.

x = 0:1;
plot (x,x,  x,x,  x,x,  x,x,  x,x,  x,x,  x,x)
ch = get (gca, 'children');
cell2mat (get (ch, 'color'))

ans =

       0.25         0.25         0.25
       0.75         0.75            0
       0.75            0         0.75
          0         0.75         0.75
          1            0            0
          0          0.5            0
          0            0            1

get (gca, 'colororder')

ans =

          0            0            1
          0          0.5            0
          1            0            0
          0         0.75         0.75
       0.75            0         0.75
       0.75         0.75            0
       0.25         0.25         0.25

I'm sorry for being so dense, but it's too late at night to try to
decipher your example.
Can you please elaborate?
what is the order of the children (i,e, when I add a new child, does
it go before or after the current children in the children vector)?
does the first child get to be on top when drawing?

Shai

The last child created is the first in the list ... Which is counter to
expectation, at least my expectation.
So when painting, the first handle on the list is drawn on top of all others?

Shai

Yes, that is my understanding.

Ben