Re: private functions in the core Octave distribution

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: private functions in the core Octave distribution
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:05:34 +0100

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  2-Dec-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | Temporarily including a private directory in path can be quite useful
> | for debugging. I don't see why Octave should prevent me from doing it.
>
> What is the use of having private directories if users can subvert
> them by changing the path?
>
> jwe

They prevent name clashes - for private functions, you don't need to
worry about inventing unique names. One can also use them to locally
override library functions. Effectively, they're like subfunctions
that are not limited to one m-file.

What is the use of preventing the user from including them on purpose?
I just don't see why Octave should impose a restriction like that.
Surely you can work it around by moving the files or recompiling
Octave without this check, but why bother? Why should Octave decide
which files I can run?

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer