Re: private functions in the core Octave distribution

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: private functions in the core Octave distribution
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 04:27:54 -0500

On  2-Dec-2009, S ren Hauberg wrote:

| For me the most important part of the private directories is that their
| content is hidden by default. If the user for some reason decides to add
| the private directory to the path, then I guess the user known that he
| or she is doing something that you're not supposed to do.

Users are supposed to know lots of things that can cause them trouble,
but do they read the documentation or even catch clues from things
like a directory named private?

| How about calling it 'format_help_text' or something like that?

OK.

| Ahh, I got confused. 'help' contains the following:
|
|       case "html"
|         [text, status] = strip_html_tags (text);
|
| but that isn't quite the same as calling '__strip_html_tags__'.

So where is strip_html_tags defined?  Should the calls be using
__strip_html_tags__ instead?  If so, then I'll keep the function and
make it private.