Re: eliminating conf.texi

From: Rik
Subject: Re: eliminating conf.texi
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:21:10 -0800

John W. Eaton wrote:
>   * .texi files are generated from .txi files using a program that we
>     build, so that program should be listed as a dependency of the
>     .texi files.  But doing that means that a fresh build from a
>     tar.gz file would always generate the .texi files.  I thought I
>     could solve that problem with a clever move-if-change rule, but
>     that doesn't work with VPATH builds because once the rule is run
>     to make the file in the local directory, Make doesn't look in the
>     VPATH direoctry for that file again.

Apparently this is a common enough problem that it is listed in the FAQ
for Automake.  Unfortunately, it is unclearly filed under "Files left in
build directory after distclean".  See the following reference:
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#distcleancheck

The solution is to depend not on the executable, which necessarily must
be rebuilt because an executable for Windows won't be the same as one
for a UNIX system, but to depend on the precursor.  In the documentation
case, the rule is that the .texi files should depend on munge-texi.cc
rather than on munge-texi the executable.  See this patch:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/7ad553781c62

There are a number of other places where we build tools that are
subsequently used in building the rest of Octave such as gendoc for
DOCSTRINGS which would probably benefit from the same treatment.

--Rik