Re: GPU Engine for Octave

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: GPU Engine for Octave
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 21:05:09 +0100

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:02 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

> | As long as you don't distribute the result, you can link Octave to
> | whatever you want to. For free software using GPUs, there's OpenCL:
> | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opencl#Implementation
> | Note that OpenCL is a standard, not a specific software, so it can be
> | implemented as a wrapper over CUDA. You'll be even able to distribute
> | the binaries (under GPL terms) that can link to any OpenCL
> | implementation, including a proprietary one.
>
> Is there any free software library that interfaces with GPU hardware?
> Just because OpenCL is an "open standard" (whatever that might mean in
> this case) does not mean that using it is necessarily GPL compatible.
> Simply declaring some interface to be an "open standard" doesn't allow
> you to sidestep the terms of the GPL.
>
> jwe

I thought there was a reference implementation, but now I can't find
it, so maybe I was wrong. In that case, of course, OpenCL libraries
would not fall under the System Library exception, because it
explicitly says that a free implementation must be available. But I
suppose if OpenCL will become widely adopted, a free implementation is
a matter of time. Note that the reference implementation would
probably not need to utilize GPU at all.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer