Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Patches to enable MSVC compilation
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 20:13:50 +0000

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> I applied those bits that are actually fixes and should be applied
> regardless, plus the one workaround in oct-stream.cc that simplifies
> code.
>
> Regarding the remaining workaround in dbleQR.h, this is a bug in MSVC
> and slightly "downgrades" the code: with this change, the QR::
> constants can't be used in integral constant exprs, like regular enums
> can. OTOH, this doesn't seem to be currently needed anywhere.
> So if this is to be applied, I think it should be clearly marked as a
> workaround for certain MSVC version, so that it can be reverted when
> no longer needed.

IIRC, the problem I had here is that because of the OCTAVE_API
decorator, you end up with mutliple symbol definition.

> I oppose this one as this goes against the logic of my recent changes
> in mx-inlines and the change is distributed across number of files and
> hence not easy to revert. mx-inlines defines "loops" and "appliers",
> with loops separated from the appliers.
[snip]
> I'd suggest you keep the patch as an extra for MSVC and report the bug
> to Microsoft (unless you already did).

Fair enough. I knew you'd reject it anyway.

I didn't report the bug, but a similar problem was reported recently
to MS. The report says that it won't be fixed in the coming version of
MSVC. Given the release rate, it probably won't be fixed before
2012/2013.

I don't think it make sense to continue submitting patches to
maintain MSVC compatibility. Though I'll probably continue to
maintain a patch for my own purpose. So if anybody wants
to compile octave with MSVC, you can still contact me (this
last sentence it just for reference, if anybody searches the mailing
list).

Bye,
Michael.