Re: GPU Engine for Octave

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: GPU Engine for Octave
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 02:05:25 -0500

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> I believe this means a free software or public domain implementation,
> but not necessarily GPL'ed.

I guess I was wondering if the wording was carefully chosen such that
perhaps GPLv3-incompatible but still free-software could be used but
only in this case in order to avoid wasting effort developing
competing free implementations of standard interfaces. It seems like
the license could easily have been explicit that a GPLv3-compatible
alternative must be available before any proprietary libraries could
be used. It just struck me as odd that they choose to be somewhat
ambiguous here.

(Annoying observation: is BLAS/LAPACK the product of a recognized
standards body?)

--judd