Re: new major release?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: new major release?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:36:43 -0500

On  9-Dec-2009, Shai Ayal wrote:

| On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:44 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On  9-Dec-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
| >
| > | I just tested it but it fails right after autogen.sh.
| > | Did you forget to add the libgnu/* files?
| >
| > Oops, yes, I forgot to hg add the libgnu/Makefile.am file.  I think
| > all the other files in that directory should be generated or copied
| > there automatically.  I checked in a change to fix this problem.
| >

| With latest source, cleanly cloned on a debian sid machine with gnulib
| installed, this is the output of autogen.sh:
|
| generating source lists for liboctave/Makefile...
| generating doc/interpreter/images.mk...
| generating src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/module.mk...
| bootstrapping...
| ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
| ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
| Initialized empty Git repository in
/home/shaia/Download/octave-hg/gnulib/.git/
| git.sv.gnu.org[0: 199.232.41.69]: errno=Connection timed out
| fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection timed out)
|
| It's trying to connect somewhere and my firewall is blocking it. What
| can I do to stop it from trying to connect outside?

If you don't have a copy of gnulib in the gnulib directory of the
Octave sources, then the bootstrap script will try to check one out
there using git.

If you have a copy of gnulib in some directory apart from the Octave
source tree, then pass the name of that directory to the bootstrap
script using the

  --gnulib-srcdir=DIRNAME

option (all options passed to autogen.sh are forwarded to the
bootstrap script).  This way, you can share a single gnulib source
tree among several projects.  Regardless of the location of the gnulib
sources, the bootstrap script will try to update them if it appears
that they are checked out using git.  Otherwise, it is your
responsibility to keep the gnulib sources up to date.  They change
frequently, so the best way to stay current is probably to use git to
do the job.

I've added this information to the HACKING file.