Re: Oplot a backend for Octave

From: Michael Godfrey
Subject: Re: Oplot a backend for Octave
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:35:16 -0800

On 01/07/2010 06:57 AM, Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:
Why does print.m use gnuplot related commands? This means that gnuplot is
mandatory as a installation during file generation with print.m! Shouldn't
the backend fix the printing functionality?
Shouldn't gnuplot just be a backend, and not the primary application for
file generation of figures?

This is not accurate.  gnuplot is a backend, See the backend command.
While there are gnuplot commands in print.m, this is due to history and gnuplot is
not required.  For example, on my Mac I have not yet implemented gnuplot but fltk
is fully functional.  It has been remarked before that print.m is due for improvement
in order to cleanly separate backends.

You should look at the fltk backend and see how your code relates to it and where
you can contribute to enhancing the current capabilities.

Michael