Re: [build] status on Mac OS X 10.6.2

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [build] status on Mac OS X 10.6.2
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:58:38 -0500

On Jan 10, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 1/9/10 9:49 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 2010, at 12:21 AM, Michael D Godfrey wrote:
>>
>>> The attached file documents the steps that
>>> led to a reasonably functional install on my
>>> MacBook Pro running OS X 19.6.2.
>>>
>>> The remaining work of installing additional packages
>>> should be pretty straightforward.
>>>
>>> Aside from boring things like sed and flex, the somewhat
>>> surprising problem was that none of the available
>>> Fortran compilers worked reliably with -O2 (actually
>>> I changed all of the compiler options from -O2 to -O0
>>> so the C and C++ compilers could also be at fault).
>>>
>>> For now I plan to leave the optimization set to -O0.
>>> When things are more settled will be good to try -O2
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> <Octave_install_8_Jan_2010.txt>
>>
>> As a follow up to Michael's experience, I've documented my experience using
>> the Fink package manager to satisfy the dependencies.
>>
>> I've changed the subject, as my approach does not presently result in
>> installing octave.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> p..s I've cc'd Alexander Hansen, who is Fink's package maintainer for
>> Octave. Alex, I thought this would be of interest to you.
>>
> The bit at the end saying "Eventually, a Fink package will be available.
> However, that will require a new gcc-4.2 package that includes
> gfortran." isn't correct.  Our existing octave builds using our gcc44
> compiler rather than Xcode.
>
> What's holding up official Fink updates is a lack of my time (much of
> which is occupied using octave for analysis and I don't want to break my
> scripts in the process--octcdf didn't get along with Octave-3.2 in my
> testing).
> - --
> Alexander Hansen
> Fink User Liaison

Hi Alex,

With Octave's current sources, I gave up trying gcc 4.4 to build. The problem I
encountered was a "bus-error" when mixing gcc 4.4 with gcc 4.2. We were able to
isolate the problem to linking to the OpenGL and Carbon frameworks. Meaning
that if we did not link to those, there was no bus-error.

I suspect the same problem would be encountered if FLTK were build with gcc
4.4. However, at the moment, I noticed there are compiler errors if gcc 4.4 is
used to build FLTK. So I'm just speculating the a "bus-error" would occur if
FLTK is built with gcc 4.4.

In any event, you obviously have much more experience with the details of
building apps for MacOS X. I am optimistic you'll find a more desirable
solution that abandoning gcc 4.4 and backing up to gcc 4.2.

Ben