Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:41:26 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
This is similar. The documentation  doesn't seem to say anything about
patch objects. To me, it seems logical to use the simplest primitive
capable of plotting a set of points, which I think is a line. Are
patches somehow faster or otherwise superior to lines? If yes, why?

Because the line object don't support colormaps

scatter(x,y,s,c); colormap hot

for example and that is documented... See the description of the value of "c" in

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/scatter.html

that clearly states "When C is a vector the same length as X and Y, the values in C are linearly mapped to the colors in the current colormap"

No you can't pick the colors from the current colormap (not that you've done that yet) as the colormap can be changed after the call to scatter

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)