Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:49:02 +0200

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 11:10 AM, dbateman <address@hidden> wrote:

Michael D Godfrey-2 wrote:

> On 01/12/2010 02:07 PM, David Bateman wrote:
>> After a bit of testing I believe the attached patch does what you want
>> and the code
>>
>> n=10; x=randn(1,n);y=randn(1,n);c=sqrt(x.^2+y.^2); h=
>> scatter(x,y,40,c,"filled")
>>
>> works as expected. I committed this patch
>>
>> D.
> This works with gnuplot, but not fltk.
>
> Michael

Probably the FLTK backend doesn't respect the markerfacecolor and
markeredgecolor properties yet. There are lots of other things that the
gnuplot backend still does that the FLTK one does yet and so I'd say this is
just one more thing. It would probably be interesting to add demos for these
features though to Octave so as to make it more obvious what features are
missing from the FLTK backend that the gnuplot ones has. This would make
adding the features to the FLTK backend easier because at least the missing
features would be more obvious.

scatter creates patches with markeredgecolor set to auto and edgecolor set to none.
In gl-render, if a patch object has markeredgecolor set to "auto" then the actual markeredgecolor is set to the value of edgecolor. (this is also true with markerfacecolor and facecolor), so scatter results in non-visible patches.
Can anyone chaeck with the competition if the following is visible:
patch([1],[1],"marker","o","facecolor","none","edgecolor","none","markerfacecolor","auto","markeredgecolor","none");

Shai