Problem with sys/time.h, not using gnulib-provided one

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Problem with sys/time.h, not using gnulib-provided one
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:50:09 +0000

Hi,

While attempting to compile octave with MSVC, I got a problem I'm not
sure how to work around. It occurs in liboctave/oct-time.cc: compilation
fails because gettimeofday is not defined. However, a replacement is
provided by gnulib and defined in sys/time.h (also provided by gnulib).
So I'd expect those to be picked up during compilation.

Now, it seems the problem is that sys/time.h is included through
liboctave/systime.h, which includes sys/time.h conditionally,
based on configure checks. However, at configure time, sys/time.h
was not found and HAVE_SYS_TIME_H is not defined. This leads
to the gnulib provided one is not picked up at compilation time.

Any suggestions about how this is supposed to work?

Michael.