Re: removing older deprecated functions

From: Dupuis
Subject: Re: removing older deprecated functions
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 02:01:38 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton-3 wrote:

> If anyone feels strongly that we should not simply delete these
> functions, then how about creating an "obsolete" package and keeping
> them there instead of in the Octave distribution itself?

To me, the concern is to still be able to revive old scripts that you didn't
use since a long time. If some function has been obsoleted, it should be
easy to find what the substitute is. So maybe this obsolete package could
contain stubs, i.e. short scripts telling that some function is obsolete and
what the replacement is. Eventually, they could be arranged in such a way
that the required operation is performed by calling the updated function.

Regards

Pascal