Re: compiling development sources

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: compiling development sources
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:49:43 +0100

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10-Feb-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
> | On Wednesday, February 10, 2010, at 10:52AM, "Carlo de Falco"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> | >Hi,
> | >
> | >I just finished building development sources on OSX 10.5 using fink to
> | >satisfy dependencies
> | >the build completed without errors but I can't run 'make check'
> | >the error I get is at line 100 of dir.m where the command 'lstat' is
> | >invoked but it seems lstat is missing.
> | >In config.log I have
> | >

> | I encountered this problem last week, and jwe provided a solution for me.
> |

> http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2010-February/015033.html
> |
> | The part you need is the change to syscalls.cc, below.
> |
> | -DEFUN (lstat, args, ,
> | +DEFUNX ("lstat", Flstat, args, ,
> |
> | I don't know if this change should be committed to the sources, or if this
> is a MacOS X specific issue.
>
> Sorry, I forgot about this problem.  I'll make this change today.
>
> I don't think anyone responded to my question in anthoer thread about
> whether we should just do this for all DEFUN functions to avoid any
> potential problems with function names being defined somewhere.
>
> jwe

Maybe we could do something like

int new_lstat (...)
{
   return lstat (...);
}

#undef lstat

DEFUN (lstat,

I consider defining macros for replacing identifiers as a *very* bad
idea in C++. I think these gnulib headers should only be included in
isolated files.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer