Re: compiling development sources

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: compiling development sources
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:58:36 -0500

On 10-Feb-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| I consider defining macros for replacing identifiers as a *very* bad
| idea in C++.

| I think these gnulib headers should only be included in
| isolated files.

I'm OK with trying to limit where these headers are included.  In some
cases, it is easy to do that and provide wrappers for the functions.
But in others, it is not so simple.  For example, if you need to use
an interface that depends on a structure that is defined in a header
file, like "struct tms" from <sys/times.h>.

Also, we can't control whether a C++ header like <ctime> will
ultimately include the C header <time.h>, can we?

Is it a violation of the C standard to have C headers #define the
symbols they provide?