Re: untabifying and local-variable for Emacs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: untabifying and local-variable for Emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:36:30 -0500

On 11-Feb-2010, David Grundberg wrote:

| To make Emacs indent with spaces only, use M-x set-variable RET
| indent-tabs-mode RET nil RET.
|
| If you have a buffer with tabs, you can run M-x untabify RET to expand
| them to spaces.

I have already put a .dir-locals.el file in the top level of the
Octave source tree that contains

  ((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . nil)
           (fill-column . 72)))
   (c-default-mode "gnu")
   (change-log-mode . ((indent-tabs-mode . t)))
   (makefile-mode . ((indent-tabs-mode . t))))

so if you are using Emacs 23 or later, you should get these defaults
for all files in the Octave source tree.  I don't think there is a way
to set per-directory defaults for earlier versions of Emacs (that's
why Emacs local-variables blocks were placed in each file in many
projects in the past).

If there is a similar thing that we can do for other editors, then
please tell me how to do it.