Re: Poor Win32 C runtime implementation

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Poor Win32 C runtime implementation
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:30:32 +0000

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> triggered by some gnulib replacement functions. This affects the VC2008
>>> runtime DLL, I didn't test if this also affect the runtime DLL used by
>>> MinGW.
>>
>> Oi, I need to check this.
>
> hopefully, MSVCRT.DLL won't be affected, but I didn't check.

The behavior is actually intended (see
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/b11b4cb3-8579-4dd0-9f94-91495e028b62/)

IMO this is a silly choice to make the application crash when invalid
parameters are passed to C runtime functions, but it seems MS
engineers didn't think so. Sigh...

Fortunately, this can be avoided.

Michael.