Re: bug tracking

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: bug tracking
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:06:57 -0500

On  2-Mar-2010, Jordi Guti rrez Hermoso wrote:

| On 2 March 2010 15:36, S ren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
| > Anyway, these days Launchpad [1] is also an option as it is now Free
| > software. I am not sure, if it works better than Bugzilla, but it does
| > support reply-by-mail quite well (at least in my experience).
|
| I was going to submit a vote for this too. It's AGPLv3, and although
| it also requires logging in to report bugs, I find that it has overall
| a lot cleaner interface than the ancient Bugzilla.

Does that mean that we install our own instance of the launchpad bug
tracker, or do we have to have a project at launchpad.net to use it?

I don't really want to have another project page.  People are already
confused by octave.sf.net (it would be better if that were named
octave-forge.sf.net...).

As a GNU project, I think it is best to have most of the Octave
project hosted at savannah.  I would use the bug tracker there as
well, but my experience with it was not great.  OTOH, maybe we should
revisit that?  Maybe the biggest problem is that we still have all our
information pointing people to the address@hidden mailing list.  Maybe
we should just migrate to using the savannah tracker anyway.  At least
it does not require login to submit a report and it prompts people for
some info about the version of Octave, etc.  Plus, it is already set up
and we don't have to maintain it.