Re: conv2 performance

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: conv2 performance
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 12:53:43 -0500

On  4-Mar-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| How is a good reason defined? Yes, it can be done without the Fortran
| code. Should I remove it then?

What is gained by having it in Fortran instead of C++?  If there is no
particular advantage to using Fortran, then I guess I would prefer to
have most code in C++.  You mentioned the performance problem for
signals, but I think it is fairly easy to eliminate that problem
problem in C++ with a few macros.  I'd rather avoid the duplicate
code.  Doing that with sed, awk, or m4 is possible, but adds some
complexity to the build system that we don't have with C++ templates.
OTOH, C++ templates add some complexity to the code.  I don't see that
there is one strict set of rules that we can write down for what is
best in all cases.