Re: Text extent implemented (partially)

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Text extent implemented (partially)
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 12:51:50 +0000

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> I played with this today. Looks good to me (works for fltk and gnuplot).
> However, I have some questions.
>
> When you wrote ...
>
>> The left and bottom are always set to the lower
>> left corner of the axes box
>
> I assume you meant;  "The left and bottom are always set to the lower left
> corner of the text's bounding box."?

I meant indeed the left and bottom value of the extent property, which is
[left bottom width height]

> Regarding text rotation, I had thought OpenGL was able to arbitrarily rotate
> outline fonts, but only able to handle increments of 90 degrees for bitmaps.
> Am I confused?

Text is not rendered using OpenGL directly. It is first rendered to a memory
pixmap, then send to OpenGL context using regular glDrawPixmap call.
Freetype is used to render the text to the pixmap. At the moment, only rotations
of multiple of 90 are implemented.

Michael.