Re: safer way to use gnulib

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:54:24 -0400

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010, at 03:29PM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 16-Mar-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>| Previously this indicated I did not have a recent version of flex.
>|

>http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-December/014436.html
>|
>| However, in this case, it appears my flex is ok …
>|
>| $ flex --version
>| flex 2.5.35
>|
>| Any ideas?
>
>Are there other versions of flex on the system?  Are you sure this is
>the version of flex that was used when you ran make?  If you look at
>the generated lex.cc file, does it have the following lines?
>
>  #define YY_FLEX_MAJOR_VERSION 2
>  #define YY_FLEX_MINOR_VERSION 5
>  #define YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION 35
>
>?
>
>jwe

My config.log includes ...

50223 | /* A lexical scanner generated by flex */
50224 |
50225 | #define FLEX_SCANNER
50226 | #define YY_FLEX_MAJOR_VERSION 2
50227 | #define YY_FLEX_MINOR_VERSION 5
50228 | #define YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION 35
50229 | #if YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION > 0
50230 | #define FLEX_BETA
50231 | #endif
50232 |

and src/lex.cc includes the same

  37 #define FLEX_SCANNER
  38 #define YY_FLEX_MAJOR_VERSION 2
  39 #define YY_FLEX_MINOR_VERSION 5
  40 #define YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION 35
  41 #if YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION > 0
  42 #define FLEX_BETA
  43 #endif

I use a simple shell script to compensate for my poor memory.

--------------------------
#! /bin/sh -ev
## Use the flex from Fink's flex-devel package
##   The MacOS X flex will not work properly due to the patch below.
##   http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/flex/flex-24.1/patches/scanEOF.diff
export PREFIX="/sw"
export PATH="$PREFIX/lib/flex/bin:$PATH"
make
make check
--------------------------

Just to be sure ... I'll rename my system flex files and try the make again.

$ sudo mv /usr/bin/flex /usr/bin/flex.orig
Password:
$ sudo mv /usr/bin/flex++ /usr/bin/flex++.orig
$ sudo mv /usr/include/FlexLexer.h /usr/include/FlexLexer.h.orig
$ export PREFIX="/sw"
$ export PATH="$PREFIX/lib/flex/bin:$PATH"
$ make clean
$ make

... I'll report back later.

Ben