Re: safer way to use gnulib

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:39:15 -0400

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010, at 04:51PM, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 16-Mar-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>| #! /bin/sh -ev
>| ## Use the flex from Fink's flex-devel package
>| ##   The MacOS X flex will not work properly due to the patch below.
>| ##
>http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/flex/flex-24.1/patches/scanEOF.diff
>| export PREFIX="/sw"
>| export PATH="$PREFIX/lib/flex/bin:$PATH"
>| make
>| make check
>| --------------------------
>
>OK, from looking at that patch I guess that if your src/lex.cc file
>has the lines
>
>  case EOB_ACT_END_OF_FILE:
>          {
>          if ( octave_wrap( ) )
>                  return 0;
>
>instead of
>
>  case EOB_ACT_END_OF_FILE:
>          {
>          if ( octave_wrap( ) )
>                  return EOF;
>
>then it looks like the version of flex that you used to generate
>lex.cc is the one that has been modified with the bad patch.
>
>jwe

You are correct. My lex.cc has the lines below.

3259         case EOB_ACT_END_OF_FILE:
3260           {
3261           if ( octave_wrap( ) )
3262             return 0;

By "bad patch", I assume you refer to Apple's patch? Which would mean that I
created the lex.cc using Apple's flex and not the proper one from Fink.

I've deleted lex.cc and begun my build again. Now when I look at lex.cc, I see
..

3273         case EOB_ACT_END_OF_FILE:
3274           {
3275           if ( octave_wrap( ) )
3276             return EOF;

Good catch on your part ... and a sloppy fumble on mine ;-)

Thanks! ... I'll report back when the build is done.

Ben