Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 21:52:59 +0100

Am 17.03.10 21:31, schrieb Ben Abbott:
On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, at 03:28PM, "Thomas Treichl"<address@hidden>
wrote:
Am 16.03.10 23:38, schrieb Ben Abbott:
On Mar 16, 2010, at 6:03 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 16-Mar-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:

| The dependencies of lex.cc aren't too many, so it finished quickly. Except
for the one failure I always get with data.cc, all tests pass.

| Thanks again!

OK, so now we finally have Octave+gnulib working on OS X, except that
we need to do something about the possibility of sigemptyset and
sigaddset being defined as preprocessor macros.

I've attached a diff for others who may be building on MacOS X.

Ben

Hi Ben,

I wasn't able to build a development snapshot for a very long time
because of the gnulib problems. With your patch and a fresh gnulib
checkout I get the following result on my 10.6 machine

     FAIL      0

So wow, thanks to all developers!

   Thomas

Thomas,

I continue to encounter a failure in data.cc.

  121>>>>>  processing
/Users/bpabbott/Development/mercurial/local_clone/src/data.cc
  122   ***** assert(log2(complex(0,Inf)), Inf + log2(i));
  123 !!!!! test failed
  124 assert (log2 (complex (0, Inf)),Inf + log2 (i)) expected
  125 Inf + 2.266i
  126 but got
  127 Inf - NaNi
  128 NaNs don't match

Using Apple's gcc-4.2.1, I've not been able to resolve this by changing the
optimization setting. Which gcc are you using and what level of optimization?

Ben

Oh yes, I remember I had similiar problems. I used these flags for CXX and for my g95 with low optimization -O instead of at least -O2 or even -O3 that I used before the change to gnulib. But I can check once again with higher optimization tomorrow

CXXFLAGS = -arch i386 -m32 -O -mieee-fp -fforce-addr -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk

  FFLAGS = -O -mieee-fp -fforce-addr

I'm using Apple's gcc and a handful of selfmade tools - and I linked libtoolize to glibtoolize, otherwise things don't work for me

 ~/Development/octave$ ls -l /usr/bin/libtoolize
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 9 Jan 16:49 /usr/bin/libtoolize -> glibtoolize

Here is the ouput of my other tools

which gcc; gcc --version
/usr/bin/gcc
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646) (dot 1)

which autoconf; autoconf --version
/usr/local/bin/autoconf
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.65

which automake; automake --version
/usr/local/bin/automake
automake (GNU automake) 1.11

which flex; flex --version
/usr/local/bin/flex
flex 2.5.35

which gawk; gawk --version
/usr/local/bin/gawk
GNU Awk 3.1.7
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-2009 Free Software Foundation.

which sed; sed --version
/usr/local/bin/sed
GNU sed version 4.2

Best regards