Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:21:00 -0400

On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>> John,
>>
>> Using libtool prevents mixing gcc versions (the libraries conflict).
>>
>> You'll need to install gfortran for you system's gcc. You can get one for
>> Leopard or Snow Leopard at the link below.
>>
>>   http://r.research.att.com/tools/
>>
>> I've attached my notes on how I do my build.
>>
>> Ben

This is awesome.  I finally have a recent tip build.  I do have one more
question.  I have a bunch of libraries I am linking against (lots of GTK-Quartz
stuff for a native OctaveDE on OSX) and have the issue of linking the 32bit
Octave build with the 64 bits everything else.  Rather than have to recompile
everything else, is there some way to get the 64 bit Octave working on OSX?  I
tried changing the -m32 to -m64, but then some configure tests for BLAS fail.
If I exclude -ff2c I get a Trap Error on one test and the other succeeds, while
if I use f2c the first test succeeds and the second fails.  I think it has
something to do with BLAS and the expected integer size (4 vs 8 bytes).

John