Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib (for other MacOS X users)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:37:57 -0400

On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:21 PM, John Swensen wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
>

>>> John,
>>>
>>> Using libtool prevents mixing gcc versions (the libraries conflict).
>>>
>>> You'll need to install gfortran for you system's gcc. You can get one for
>>> Leopard or Snow Leopard at the link below.
>>>
>>>  http://r.research.att.com/tools/
>>>
>>> I've attached my notes on how I do my build.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

> This is awesome.  I finally have a recent tip build.  I do have one more
> question.  I have a bunch of libraries I am linking against (lots of
> GTK-Quartz stuff for a native OctaveDE on OSX) and have the issue of linking
> the 32bit Octave build with the 64 bits everything else.  Rather than have to
> recompile everything else, is there some way to get the 64 bit Octave working
> on OSX?  I tried changing the -m32 to -m64, but then some configure tests for
> BLAS fail.  If I exclude -ff2c I get a Trap Error on one test and the other
> succeeds, while if I use f2c the first test succeeds and the second fails.  I
> think it has something to do with BLAS and the expected integer size (4 vs 8
> bytes).
>
> John

Its good to hear others are successful building on MacOS X!

I choose to install the 32bit version of Fink. Thus, my Octave is 32bit only.
So, I won't be any help with a 64bit build, but you might look at the link
below (64-bit R for Mac OS X)

        http://r.research.att.com/exp/

If you still have problems, I recommend you post the detail and see if someone
has an idea. You may also want to describe the unique gcc options on MacOS X
... -m32 and -m64, for example.

Ben