Re: safer way to use gnulib

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: safer way to use gnulib
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:06:04 +0000

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 20-Mar-2010, Michael Goffioul wrote:
>
> | This does not address the problem I reported, does it?
>
> Yes, I think it should because I removed the #undef GNULIB_NAMESPACE
> directive.  That way, accept should not be defined by the gnulib
> header.  Please try the patch and let me know if it solves the
> problem.  If not, then please report more details about the problem.
> Your original report was too vague for me to do anything but guess,
> and my best guess about the solution to the problem was the change I
> posted.

Sorry for the incompleteness of the report. I didn't expect you to
try to fix it as I think the problem is in gnulib. The "accept" definition
is coming from unistd.h, whose template looks like this:

#if @GNULIB_GETHOSTNAME@
/* Get all possible declarations of gethostname().  */
# if @UNISTD_H_HAVE_WINSOCK2_H@
#  include <winsock2.h>
#  if !defined _GL_SYS_SOCKET_H
[snip]
#   undef accept
#   define accept               accept_used_without_including_sys_socket_h
[snip]
#  endif
# endif
#endif

In my case, @GNULIB_GETHOSTNAME@ and @UNISTD_H_HAVE_WINSOCK2_H@
are both defined to 1. So, I don't really see what will be the effect of
undefining GNULIB_NAMESPACE on the above.

Nevertheless, I'll test your patch asap.

Note that sys_socket.in.h has also a suspicious re-definition of
"accept", but apparently this one is not triggered when compiling
octave.

Michael.