Re: Implementing loadlibrary, calllib, etc.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Implementing loadlibrary, calllib, etc.
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:53:19 -0400

On 24-Mar-2010, John Swensen wrote:

| I ended up finding a wrapper around the GCC parser that parses a
| header or source file into XML, intuitively called gcc-xml.  This
| will be the perfect way of doing things.  It supports GCC,
| VisualC++, Borland, Intel, and SGI, so I think it should work for
| the most used platforms.  The XML nature of the output also makes it
| very each to traverse the file and determine the parameter and
| return types, datatypes in structures, following typedefs back to
| what they call a 'FundamentalType', etc.  Then FFCALL should make it
| easy to implement the calling procedures.

Is there nothing simpler that could be used just for parsing
declarations?  Doesn't swig perform a similar task?  What does it use?

| I plan on implementing just the simple case of scalar variables,
| then moving on to arrays/pointers, then working on structures.

I encourage you to propose patches and get feedback from the list as
you work on this.  I think it would be best to merge small parts
incrementally rather than waiting until you have all parts of it
finished.