mercurial changeset id from within octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: mercurial changeset id from within octave
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:39:25 -0400

On 24-Mar-2010, Thorsten Meyer wrote:

| within octave, is it somehow possible to find out the mercurial changeset id
of
| the tip that octave was built from?
| I would like to be able to find out exactly from which status of the sources a
| particular octave has been built.

That information is not currently recorded.  I suppose it would be OK
to store the changeset ID in the binary, but since anyone can create a
Mercurial archive, with their own changes, it may not be entirely
helpful.  I mean, it would not always be the revision ID of a
changeset in our public archive, right?  If you want this feature,
then propose a patch.  I'm unlikely to make such a change without a
contributed patch.