Re: build fails: ‘strerror’ is not a member of ‘gnulib’

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: build fails: ‘strerror’ is not a member of ‘gnulib’
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:50:58 -0400

On 25-Mar-2010, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM, David Grundberg <address@hidden> wrote:
| > John W. Eaton wrote:
| >>
| >> On 24-Mar-2010, David Grundberg wrote:

| >> | I'm having trouble building the tip. I used to have the 'cannot open < |
| >> liboctave/mx-op-inc.mk' problem but that is fixed now, that's great, but |
| >> I'm still stuck. I removed my checkout and started anew, but it still |
| >> won't build. This is what I'm getting:
| >>
| >> I assume you checked in the following change to fix this problem?
| >>
| >> Why did you use (for example)
| >>
| >>  #include "stdlib.h"
| >>
| >> instead of
| >>
| >>  #include <stdlib.h>
| >>
| >> ?  Is this needed because some system C++ <cXXX> headers don't include
| >> the corresponding C <XXX.h> header files?  If so, then maybe we should
| >> be rethinking the way we use the C system headers throughout Octave.
| >>

| > I could have used <stdlib.h> instead of "stdlib.h", but I felt like using ""
| > because the file is in the source tree.
| >
| > As for using <cstring>, this doesn't include gnulib's string.h for me.
| >

| What if you do
| #include <string.h>
| #include <ctring>
|
| ? Does that help? If so, I think this would be the best pattern.

Is this guaranteed to work, or are there systems where it will fail?

I think it might be best to come up with some simple test cases that
we can use to discuss the problems with the gnulib maintainers.