64-bit Octave linking error due to gnulib redefinition of int64_t

From: Jarno Rajahalme
Subject: 64-bit Octave linking error due to gnulib redefinition of int64_t
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:53:01 -0700

On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Liam Groener wrote: (at address@hidden)

> Hi,
> I'm trying to build the development version using MacPort dependancies on OS
> X 10.6.2. The error I get is:
>   ../../run-octave -f -q -H -p . --eval "geometryimages ('voronoi', 'txt');"
>   dyld: Symbol not found:
> __ZNSt15basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEE7seekoffElSt12_Ios_SeekdirSt13_Ios_Openmode
>
>   Referenced from:
> /Users/liamg/build45/octave/src/.libs/liboctinterp-3.3.50+.dylib  Expected
> in: flat namespace

I faced the same problem. It is due to gnulib redefinition of int64_t and may
affect all 64-bit systems. In this particular case GCC 4.4 has a different
definition of std:streamoff, and does not exhibit this problem. I have reported
this on bug-gnulib.

Shortly, the issue is due to "long long" and "long" being mangled differently,
even when they have the same length. This causes the symbol name to be
different, and link to fail, even though the function would work in systems
where long and long long have the same length (such as 64 bit OSX).

  Jarno