Re: Proposal for Matlab style errorbars

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Proposal for Matlab style errorbars
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:37:21 +0200

Ben Abbott wrote:
I've modified __errplot__.m to produce Matlab style errorbars, and would like
some feedback before pushing.

I'm not sure how the box style error bars (#) are supposed to look. For my setup they look identical to the normal ones (i.e. "#~>" looks like "~>").
Rather than duplicate the same "look", I made the box styles look like "boxes".

I haven't pushed this yet, but did add some demos to errorbar.m. I recommend
pulling that change to make testing/demoing this changeset easier.

Of course, as an added bonus, this implementation works with the fltk backend.

Ben

p.s. I hope no one minds that I cc'd everyone involved in the discussion on the bug tracker.
As far as I can see the changes to __errplot__ itself are cosmetic.. The big change is in the updata_data subfunction and with the little testing i've done it seems ok. I have two points however. If we make this change to would be a good idea to try and pick the same parameters using in the errorbar lines in the matlab version of this. I don't have matlab. In particular is the value of dx, etc the same as used in matlab? It would also make sense to remove the ldata, udata, xldata and xudata from the line objects of Octave, and from __go_draw_axes__ as they will no longer be used after this patch. This values will only be in the hggroup itself

Cheers
David