FFLAGS and integer size

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: FFLAGS and integer size
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:02:34 +0200

hi John,

I just figured out that although configure --enable-64 correctly
discovers that Fortran doesn't have -fdefault-integer-8, it doesn't
add it to FFLAGS, but only stores it into a variable called
F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG. Is there any reason for this? I think it used to
be added to FFLAGS in past (probably prior to libtool changes).
Because of this, ACX_BLAS_F77_FUNC fails to detect an incompatible
BLAS library (it uses just FFLAGS). Worse yet, mkoctfile compiles
Fortran files with wrong flags (i.e. again without the
-fdefault-integer-8). libcruft, on the contrary, uses
F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG explicitly in libcruft/Makefile.am.

What is the proper fix? Should -fdefault-integer-8 simply be added to
FFLAGS as it used to be, or should we use F77_INTEGER_8_FLAG where
necessary? If the latter, why? I can hardly imagine the circumstances
under which you would want to combine codes compiled with different
integer sizes. I think mkoctfile should spit compatible flag settings
when asked by "mkoctfile -p FFLAGS". At least I relied on it in one of
my packages. In any case, I'm sure that mkoctfile should use the
proper size when compiling Fortran sources.

best regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer