Re: printing using CUPS' drivers

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: printing using CUPS' drivers
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 05:51:22 +0900 (JST)

Hello

I have not any experience to execute print command directly to printer.
On windows, after win 2000, there is 'lpr' command but I do not know it is
compatible to that of unix.

C:\usr\tatsu>lpr

Sends a print job to a network printer

Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x] [-d] filena
me

     -S server    Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
     -P printer   Name of the print queue
     -C class     Job classification for use on the burst page
     -J job       Job name to print on the burst page
     -o option    Indicates type of the file (by default assumes a text file)
                  Use "-o l" for binary (e.g. postscript) files
     -x           Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
     -d           Send data file first

At least -l option seems not to exit in lpr on windows XP.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- Ben Abbott wrote:

> During the discussion on the help-list below, I realized that there is a
> problem with your
> print.m does its task
>
>       https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2010-May/019745.html
>
> There is an implied conflict between Octave's use of ghostscript and the use
> of the CUPS drivers
> in unix systems.
>
> Consider three examples for how printing may be handled using lpr.
>
> (1) For postscript printers
>
>       lpr -l myfile.ps
>
> (2) For non-postscript printers using ghostscript, an Epson printer for
> example
>
>       gs -sDEVICE=epson sOutputFile=foo.bar myfile.ps
>       lpr -l foo.bar
>
> (3) To print using the CUPS drivers
>
>       lpr myfile.ps
>
> In some cases, when using the 3rd approach with a postscript printer many
> pages of postscript
> code will be printed (i.e. the postscript is filtered as if it were ascii).
>
> With the "-l" option (equiv to "-o raw") is used with a non-postscript
> printer, the output is
> either nothing or (again) several pages of postscript code.
>
> Should a preference be used to select between the system filter and
> ghostscript? ... or should
> print.m be modified to allow the lpr options to be explicitly specified? ...
> or something else?
>
> Ben

2010 FIFA World Cup News [Yahoo!Sports/sportsnavi]
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/southafrica2010/