RE: [OctDev] A few (Octave) ideas

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: RE: [OctDev] A few (Octave) ideas
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:53:10 +0200

Hello,

I would prefer this feature to be a pure "add-on" only. I can understand why
you would like to see it and why it is useful for some enviornments.
However, there are major drawbacks in other environments as well:
- Systems not connected to the internet (or not always connected to the
internet)
- Organisations with strong concerns w.r.t. to system integrity
- Systems which require a well documented configuration management
- Organisations which want to ensure "out of the box" interoperability of
systems

In all of this cases, it is probably preferable to have some "distribution"
containing "everything" rolled out from time to time instead of having users
installing components step by step according to their actual needs. As mass
storage is (relatively) cheap today, having larger "distributions" is not
that much of an issue any more.

We see the effects of a likewise approach with the miktex TeX distribution -
for just one person using it, it is fine, but distributing some feature set
to a working group is getting much more involved now.

I guess that ensuring interoperability of downloaded features with already
installed components will also get a major issue, probably causing more
trouble in the long run than the benefit really is.

Just my 2 ct

Rolf

There are 2 additional concerns here from my point of view