Re: [OctDev] automatic download of forge packages

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: [OctDev] automatic download of forge packages
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 12:53:11 +0200

On 7 Jun 2010, at 12:04, Michael Goffioul wrote:

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
3. Obviously, I'll be glad if others can check my code and possibly improve it.

Just a small improvement suggestion, for anybody's willing to do it,
it would be nice to get the list of available packages using some "list"
flag in pkg.

This seems a logical extension, as you're not gonna necessarily
be browsing octave-forge pages to download the packages you want
to install, so you might not know what packages are available.

Michael.

I cannot contribute this functionality myself at the moment as I am unable to build the developement version of Octave on my system. But to make the task simpler for who wants to do it, I prepared this simple php script:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/list_packages.php

which returns the list of available packages formatted as plain text.
The actual implementation of pkg -forge list should now be something as easy as:

[text, succ] = urlread ("http://octave.sourceforge.net/ list_packages.php");
if (succ)
  disp(text);
endif